New Zealand resisted the pressures and maintains mega.nz.com

I like New Zealand, I play rugby and I love the New Zealand style of play: noble, direct and generous. New Zealand is a very new country with only four million people and an enviable nature. For rugby fans, New Zealand was on the map, for the rest of the world, it was not.

New Zealand made a very strong bet when it turned its cinema into a question of state with The Lord of the Rings.
We live in a world of brands, of course of country brands, and New Zealand did not want to remain outside the world of country brands. Spain did the same in the eighties with flamenco and so on.
Kim Dotcom celebrated one year since his arrest by presenting the new Megaupload mega.co.nz from Auckland and with a New Zealand domain. I confess that I did not try Megaupload, but this time I was curious and I signed up in the first few minutes, in which 100,000 people registered.
tweet 1New Zealand had done it again. As with the Lord of the Rings trilogy and THE Hobbit, New Zealand has embraced an initiative bigger than the country itself for branding purposes. They know what they are playing at, and they play hard.

tweet 2

Today the world is marked by three models: the Asian model focused on hardware, the European model governed by telecoms and the North American model where content is the main focus. The United States had already closed Megaupload in Hong Kong and aborted it before it was born in Gabon (it was launched under the me.ga domain). New Zealand has played very strongly withstanding the pressures of the North American content lobby, although today no one is talking about it.

Mega represents a distributed Internet. To say distributed Internet is a redundancy, since the Net is, by definition, distributed, although those who insist on breaking its neutrality seek to centralize it. The Internet was born when its father, Sir Tim Berners Lee, refused to patent the World Wide Web while working at Cern in Switzerland.

Mega is also encrypted. Be careful here, because governments will not be able to do much because not only do they not know where things are physically (distributed) but they also do not know what content is circulating (encrypted).

Mega is, in any case, an opposition to the old model of content sales. Today, 99% of content is free, the remaining 1% is reserved for blockbusters like Lord of the Rings, books like Harry Potter or video games like Uncharted.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

English